Detroit Casinos Up 3.3% to $1.38BN in 2015

Detroit’s casino industry reported an increase in business in 2015, with the city’s three casinos generating a combined $1.38 billion in revenues, up by 3.3% compared to the $1.33 billion that was collected in 2014. Last’s year’s result also mark the first time since 2011 ($1.42bn) that Detroit has seen an improvement in its year-over-year figures.
Detroit’s casino market has declined since a number of alternate gambling venues opened up in neighboring Ohio back in 2012. However, Detroit’s economy has improved steadily over the past few years, which combined with lower gas prices, has helped to produce extra disposable income for its residents. This has translated into more business for Detroit’s casinos, and as Calderone Advisory Group MD Alex Calderone explains:
“This is a business that is dependent almost entirely on discretionary income. Money that’s not spent at the pump is money that can be spent at the casino.”
According to the Michigan Gaming Control Board, all three of Detroit’s casinos saw an increase in their year-over-year revenues in 2015, lead by MGM Grand up 3.7% to $582 million, followed by MotorCity up 4.4% to $464.5 million, and Greektown up 1% to $329.9 million. Out of their combined $1.38 billion in revenues, 83% was generated from slot machines, and the remaining 17% from table games.
Casino gambling taxes represent a significant 16% of Detroit’s annual revenue stream, and in 2015 the city collected $111.5 million in taxes, up from the $108 million taken in 2014. In addition, MGM, MotorCity, and Greektown submitted $174.3 million in wagering taxes, which was $5.2 million more than had been budgeted for by the City of Detroit, and commenting on the positive result, Detroit Finance Director John Naglick Jr. said:
“This is certainly an important revenue stream for the city and the increases are favorable news for the city’s general fund.”
Detroit Casino Results:
2015: $1.38 billion
2014: $1.33 billion
2013: $1.34 billion
2012: $1.42 billion
2011: $1.42 billion
2010: $1.37 billion
2009: $1.33 billion


Poker News
Spanish Online Poker Revenue Jumps 27% in Q1
03 Jun 2018
In January, Spain and France started pooling their online poker players in an attempt to revive an industry decimated by the ring-fenced policies adopted by their respective governments. If they were ever in any doubt as to the validity of their move, the results for the first three months of 2018 will certainly have allayed
Japan Introduces Responsible Gambling Bill
28 May 2018
Japan’s bicameral legislature, known as The National Diet, consists of an upper House of Councillors and a lower House of Representatives, with the latter having started discussing the Integrated Resorts Implementation Bill last week. Being debated is the regulatory framework required in order to set up an efficient and well functioning casino market in the
Ohio Casino Revenue Up 1% to $71.8m in April
17 May 2018
The Ohio Casino Control Commission has released its gambling results for April, with the state’s four casinos collecting $71.8 million last month, up by almost 1% compared to the prior year. Meanwhile, the Buckeye State’s seven racinos fared considerably better, with their revenue rising by 8% to $89.7 million from their slots and video gaming
NJ Generates Record iGaming Revenues in February
15 May 2018
In April, New Jersey’s online gambling market saw its revenue rise by 10.6% to $23 million versus the same month in 2017, with the amount posted second only to the record $25.6 million collected in March 2018. As a result, the Garden State has now generated $92.5 million over the first four months of this