Detroit Casinos Up 1.7% to $116.4M in February

Following a slight 1.8% revenue decline in January, Detroit’s casinos returned to positive territory in February after reporting a 1.7% improvement in business to $116.4 million, compared to the $114.4 million that was generated in the same month in 2015. The results were also 6.7% higher than January’s total of $109 million.
Last month, Detroit’s three casinos subsequently paid $9.4 million in  gambling taxes to the state of Michigan, as well as a further $13.9 million to the city of Detroit by way of wagering taxes and development agreement payments.
Leading Detroit’s casino market in February, in terms of growth, was MotorCity whose revenues increased by 3.5% to $40.4 million, followed by Greektown up 3.4% to $28.8 million, and finally MGM, which reported a slight 0.7% fall in revenues to $47.2 million.
As a result, MGM enjoyed a 40% share of Detroit’s casino market in February, with MotorCity accounting for 35% of revenues, and Greektown the remaining 25%.
All the information was supplied by the Michigan Gaming Control Board, whose stated goal is to “ensure the conduct of fair and honest gaming to protect the interests of the citizens of the State of Michigan.”
Detroit’s Casino Industry
In 2015, Detroit casinos generated $1.38 billion in revenues, higher by 3.3% compared to $1.33 billion collected in 2014. From that total, 83% of business was accounted for by slot machines revenues, with the remaining 17% coming from table games. Last year, Detroit then collected $174.3 million by way of taxes. As Detroit Finance Director John Naglick Jr explained at the time:
“This is certainly an important revenue stream for the city and the increases are favorable news for the city’s general fund.”
Detroit Annual Casino Results:
2015: $1.38bn
2014: $1.33bn
2013: $1.34bn
2012: $1.42bn
2011: $1.42bn
2010: $1.37bn
2009: $1.33bn

Poker News
Spanish Online Poker Revenue Jumps 27% in Q1
03 Jun 2018
In January, Spain and France started pooling their online poker players in an attempt to revive an industry decimated by the ring-fenced policies adopted by their respective governments. If they were ever in any doubt as to the validity of their move, the results for the first three months of 2018 will certainly have allayed
Japan Introduces Responsible Gambling Bill
28 May 2018
Japan’s bicameral legislature, known as The National Diet, consists of an upper House of Councillors and a lower House of Representatives, with the latter having started discussing the Integrated Resorts Implementation Bill last week. Being debated is the regulatory framework required in order to set up an efficient and well functioning casino market in the
Ohio Casino Revenue Up 1% to $71.8m in April
17 May 2018
The Ohio Casino Control Commission has released its gambling results for April, with the state’s four casinos collecting $71.8 million last month, up by almost 1% compared to the prior year. Meanwhile, the Buckeye State’s seven racinos fared considerably better, with their revenue rising by 8% to $89.7 million from their slots and video gaming
NJ Generates Record iGaming Revenues in February
15 May 2018
In April, New Jersey’s online gambling market saw its revenue rise by 10.6% to $23 million versus the same month in 2017, with the amount posted second only to the record $25.6 million collected in March 2018. As a result, the Garden State has now generated $92.5 million over the first four months of this