Detroit Casino Revenues Fall 1.2% To $1.33bn In 2014

Detroit Casino Revenues Fall 1.2% To $1.33bn In 2014Ending a disappointing year on a positive note, Detroit reported a 10.3% increase in gambling revenues to $118.1 million for December, with all three of the city’s casinos reporting year-over-year increases for the month. Leading the way was Greektown up by 12% to $28.4 million, followed by MGM up 11.5% to $50.1 million, and MotorCity up 7.6% to $39.6 million. Helping to explain some of the gains is the recent drop in gas prices, which has translated into more disposable income for consumers, as well as improved weather in December, and a Christmas holidays which fell on Thursdays.
“I bet you a lot of people had Friday after Christmas off. I think a lot of people took advantage of the longer weekends,” commented Ohio-based gaming consultant Jeffrey Compton.
Nevertheless, December’s gains were not enough to off-set an overall 1.2% drop in revenues to $1.33 billion in 2014, marking three year’s of shrinking revenues for Detroit. From that tally, slot machines accounted for 83% of total revenues in 2014, or $1.1 billion, while table games accounted for the remaining 17%, or $227 million. Breaking the figures down further, MotorCity reported the biggest drop in revenues, down 2.1% to $445 million, followed by MGM Grand Detroit down 1% to $561.1 million, and Greektown down 0.5% to $326.7 million.
In spite of falling revenues, however, Michigan Gaming Control Board executive director Richard Kalm, took comfort in the fact the drop was lower than had initially been anticipated, explaining:
“We expected 2.5% to 3% (decline) for the year. The 1.2% is certainly manageable.”
Detroit relies heavily on the taxes collected from its casino to fund essential services such as the police and fire department, as well as “programs that are designed to contribute to the improvement of the quality of life in the city.” In 2014, the city then received $170 million in gambling tax revenues, equivalent to around 16% of Detroit’s total revenues.
Annual Detroit Gambling Revenues:
2009: $1.33 billion
2010: $1.37 billion
2011: $1.42 billion
2012: $1.42 billion
2013: $1.34 billion
2014: $1.33 billion

Poker News
Spanish Online Poker Revenue Jumps 27% in Q1
03 Jun 2018
In January, Spain and France started pooling their online poker players in an attempt to revive an industry decimated by the ring-fenced policies adopted by their respective governments. If they were ever in any doubt as to the validity of their move, the results for the first three months of 2018 will certainly have allayed
Japan Introduces Responsible Gambling Bill
28 May 2018
Japan’s bicameral legislature, known as The National Diet, consists of an upper House of Councillors and a lower House of Representatives, with the latter having started discussing the Integrated Resorts Implementation Bill last week. Being debated is the regulatory framework required in order to set up an efficient and well functioning casino market in the
Ohio Casino Revenue Up 1% to $71.8m in April
17 May 2018
The Ohio Casino Control Commission has released its gambling results for April, with the state’s four casinos collecting $71.8 million last month, up by almost 1% compared to the prior year. Meanwhile, the Buckeye State’s seven racinos fared considerably better, with their revenue rising by 8% to $89.7 million from their slots and video gaming
NJ Generates Record iGaming Revenues in February
15 May 2018
In April, New Jersey’s online gambling market saw its revenue rise by 10.6% to $23 million versus the same month in 2017, with the amount posted second only to the record $25.6 million collected in March 2018. As a result, the Garden State has now generated $92.5 million over the first four months of this